Unemployment is 4.5%. Cheyenne has more than 12,000 under-employed people creating an attractive pool of available workers. Cheyenne has a population of 60,691, the county has an additional 32,972 and our trade area has 130,000. There is a readily available workforce of well-educated, willing workers in the area.
- Wyoming is a right-to-work state with labor rates that are extremely competitive with most other areas of the nation.
- Laramie County union membership represents about 14% of the workforce.
- Unemployment for 2013 remains at 4.5%. Cheyenne has more than 12,000 under-employed people creating an attractive pool of available workers.
- Cheyenne has a population of 60,691, the county has an additional 32,972 and our trade area has over 130,000. There is a readily available workforce of well-educated, willing workers in the area.
- Laramie County Community College in Cheyenne has close to 5,000 students.
- University of Wyoming, Colorado State University, and University of Northern Colorado, with more than 50,000 students combined are all within 45 minute commuting distances.
- F.E. Warren AFB has more than 5,000 personnel, civil service, and dependents.
Corporate businesses who have expanded into Cheyenne have all been able to satisfy their labor demands largely from the local area. For example, Sierra Trading Post has grown from 60 employees to close to 600. Lowe’s Companies’ regional distribution center, employs close to 500. In early 2012, Schlumberger, an oil field service provider, employed 50 in engineering and skilled technician positions.
Vital to economic team building, the local community college offers a range of academic, vocational and technical programs that provide a high-quality workforce, including:
- Custom-tailored employee training
- On-site training and professional development
- Employee development and leadership training
- Professional continuing education
- Specialized computer training